Lifestyle is a central and driving factor for those who live in the Upper Northern Beaches. Many buyers from out of the area are looking to purchase properties from Mona Vale to Palm Beach primarily to embrace a more “beachy”, outdoor, family lifestyle.
As a community, we love our beaches, our sports, our clubs, our pools and our local events! But along with the rest of Australia (and much of the world), our beloved lifestyle has been interrupted and put on “pause” temporarily due to the COVID-19 government restrictions. Thankfully, as of last Friday, NSW is relaxing restrictions and schools are back full-time as of next Monday the 20th of May. While nothing is written in stone in this current climate, we are in the first of three stages of the Federal government’s re-opening of our economy.
Though restrictions may change day by day, I outline below how and what amenities we can access currently in the Upper Northern Beaches.
All of the ‘Northern Beaches’ beaches have now reopened, however with the caveat that social distancing precautions still apply and large gatherings are still not permitted. As the summer season has ended, not all beaches are patrolled.
Current easing of restrictions now means –
- 1-hour parking restriction lifted. Back to the regular parking conditions and fees along the beach
- Gatherings of up to 10 people, so this means you can do your training on the beach or surf/swim in a group of 10 or less.
- Sit and stay a bit longer – Whilst the beaches beyond the bends never completely shut, they were only open for short periods of exercise. That has changed and there is now more leniency which means we can sit down, be in groups up to 10 (with 1.5m social distancing) and stay for longer periods.
Beach & Rock Pools
Our much-loved rock pools have now reopened! In a recent article I wrote Northern Beaches Rock Pools – With (local) Lisa Cram, she discusses individual rock pools, the lifestyle benefits and their local tribes. I’m sure these tribes will be overjoyed at the opportunity to swim in their favourite pool again.
Social distancing restrictions apply with a maximum of 10 people in the pool at a time and 1.5m distance from other. All the info is here or I have provided links below for each individual pool.
Skateparks & Playgrounds
Your kids, as are mine, are thrilled to know skate parks and playgrounds have opened, with social distancing requirements.
- Avalon Skate Park – Max. 10ppl. 1.5m distancing
- Mona Vale Skate Park Max 10ppl. 1.5m distancing, hours of operation: Sunday to Saturday until 10.30pm, Sunday until 9.00pm (lights will automatically go off at these times)
- Parking restrictions lifted.
- Playgrounds open
Barrenjoey Lighthouse and its trails opened this week! You can keep up to date with alerts and changes to the opening and closing of this great walk here or call National Parks on 9451 3479.
If you need inspiration for other walks in our area I recently wrote an article highlighting the Palm Beach To Manly Coastal Walk And The Hidden Trails Within. There are so many to choose from and most of them are open.
Libraries on the Northern Beaches including the Mona Vale and Avalon branch remain closed at this time. You can however borrow books online via Library2U service which is open to everyone and delivers to your door.
You can reserve items which will be delivered to you as they become available or let our librarians choose a selection of items for you based on your preferences. Due to the demand, some orders may take a little longer than three business days to get to you. Please note, you must reside in the Northern Beaches Council Local Government Area and hold a library membership.
Golf courses are now open and you may now play with more people. Ask at your local centre for more information.
Tennis courses are now open and you may now play with double with a total of 4 people. Ask at your local centre for more information.
If you fancy some coaching give Joel Goodwin a call from Goodwin’s Tennis Academy.
Community Centres and council offices remain closed until further notice. You can contact the council by website or phone customer service on 1300 434 434.
Restaurants, pubs, RSL’s
One thing many of us have missed is going out for a meal or drink with loved ones. Many of the local restaurants are now open for takeaway and also in-dining with a max. 10 people seated. Here is a list of some of our key dining venues
- Avalon Beach RSL – takeaway and delivery only
- Whale Beach Deli – open for takeaway 7am – 3pm
- The Boathouse Bakery – open for pickup, online ordering and takeaway
- The Boathouse Palm Beach & Barrenjoey House – closed
- Palm Beach RSL – closed
- The Newport – venue closed, bottle shop open and Bert’s have a weekly home delivery meal box which you can order online ‘Merivale at home’
- Mona Vale Park House – Venue closed bottle shop open
- Jonah’s – closed
While there are still restrictions, we are so lucky to live in an area where we have access to the natural environment and outdoor amenities. The ocean shorelines, bushland and parks we have access to is enough to keep us busy and active in the weeks and months ahead.