Christmas is such a lovely time of year in Avalon. It’s warm and festive, the atmosphere is alive with excitement.
Locals and visitors circle the beaches and village enjoying the Christmas festivities and the holiday’s ahead. Beyond the bends is a beautiful place to spend Christmas!
This year Avalon will be host to: Carols, Lights, Shopping & Christmas Day Lunch! Avalon and Palm Beach is the perfect place to spend Christmas with your loved ones, I know I’ll be making the most of it with my wife and kids.
Here’s what we are looking forward to this Christmas in Avalon –
CAROLS : McGrath Avalon Carols at the Beach
Where: Avalon Beach on the south side of the Surf Life Saving Club
When: Saturday, 7 December 2019, 4:00-9:00pm
Community is a key value for us and this event encapsulates community festivity at its finest!
Mcgrath Avalon Carols At The Beach is a free event that has been running since 2014. It attracts over 3000 people every year and funds raised go towards Avalon Beach SLSC, an integral Club in the life of Avalon.
The carols feature the local Jubilation Choir, a market-style food fair and a visit by Santa for the kids.
Of course there is no other way to finish off the celebrations but with a spectacular firework display that lights up Avalon Beach and the Pacific Ocean. If you have kids, be sure not to miss this popular event.
LIGHTS: Christmas Lights on Elaine
Where: Elaine Avenue, Avalon Beach.
When: The lights go up in the first week of December.
Leave the car at home and wander down Elaine Avenue, where the residents have banded together to put on a spectacular experience for families. It’s always a special summer night walking down Elaine adoring the decorated houses with my three sons.
CHRISTMAS DAY LUNCH: Stress Free!
If you are looking to ‘opt out’ of hosting Christmas lunch at home this year and perhaps ‘opt into’ a fuss free day – outsource Christmas Day lunch to one of my favourite local restaurants. No washing up! That’s got to be the best Christmas Lunch, ever… at least that’s what my wife tells me!
- The Beach House, Avalon – Avalon’s Beach House is back again this year with their Christmas Lunch. A gourmet three-course meal with a glass of champers on arrival costs $115 for adults. While children cost $40, which includes a kid’s meal and unlimited soft drink. Come on, it’s Christmas!
- Avalon Beach RSL Club – Christmas Lunch by Bistro 61. They’ll be presenting a delicious Christmas Day buffet with a complimentary drink on arrival and Christmas roasts, seafood, veggies and a dessert selection. Club Members pay $100 while it’s $110 for non-members. The price for kids 12 and under is $45.
SHOPPING: Go local!
Avalon Village is spoiled for choice when it comes to quality shops. It’s easy to support independent local businesses in Avalon by simply choosing your gifts locally from some much loved local vendors.
There are endless possibilities – grab the shopping bags and have a wander.
Where: All over Avalon – but check out some faves here:
- Christmas is for kids! So, check out Freckles for Kids, which has the most adorable kid’s clothes, toys and gifts. They’ll even wrap your presents for you!
- Nothing says Christmas Day like a couple kilos of fresh prawns. The Frazer family of Oceana Traders have been preparing fresh and deliciously cooked seafood and chef-prepared meals since 2015.
- Beach Without Sand (BWS) is the beating heart of the Avalon and Palmie communities. Wato’s been in the game since 1983. For anything to do with surf culture, this is your local store, where you’ll get the absolute best in local knowledge.
- For readers and lovers of books, you can’t beat Bookoccino – if you don’t know what to get, try a voucher.
From my family to yours… Wishing you and your family a safe and Merry Christmas!