Having a preference for where you send your kids to school may have a significant influence on where you choose to live.
Though Avalon Beach is at the far end of the Northern Beaches, it is still home to some of the best education Sydney has to offer. As a child, I was a student of Avalon Public School – and now, full circle, I am a parent! My boys enjoy the local school literally on our doorstep and have even shared identical classrooms I had, only 30 years later.
The schools beyond the bends have gone from strength to strength since those days and now our local kids have more options than ever.
Here is a short guide to schooling across Avalon and Palm Beach.
Avalon Public School (APS)
- Whereabouts: Avalon Beach on Old Barrenjoey Road
- Age: 5-12
- Parents Say: “Because it’s a large school it can seem a bit daunting but they do a great job of making it feel like it’s a smaller school as they are really focused on community, each kid has a small community within the larger community and it feels a lot smaller than it looks on paper. There’s also a lot of opportunity for the kids with extra curricula sports and creative arts.”
With currently 937 students enrolled in Avalon Public School is one of the largest schools on the Northern Beaches. Characterised by a sense of community and a strong focus on student welfare, parents, staff and community members unite to support students across a range of endeavours aimed at building their self-esteem and confidence. There is also a strong focus on sport and performing arts. It is within this supportive culture that individual personalities and intelligence are developed.
Bilgola Plateau Public School (BPPS)
- Whereabouts: Bilgola Plateau on Plateau Road
- Age: 5-12
- Parents say: “We chose Bilgola Plateau Public School as it is nurturing, a bit smaller than other public schools and we’ve enjoyed being part of its kind community.”
Bilgola Plateau Public School currently has 521 students enrolled. The school’s modern facilities, dedicated teachers and caring environment make it an ideal choice for parents looking for a smaller school that caters for students of all abilities. It has its own tennis court and cricket nets, a grassed oval, an assembly hall, a well-stocked library and extensive information and computer technology. The school motto is kindness, courtesy and knowledge.
Maria Regina Catholic School
- Whereabouts: Avalon Beach on Central Road
- Age: 5-12
- Parents say: “Maria Regina is a small school but that comes with big advantages as every student has the opportunity to get involved, not one student goes unnoticed.”
Maria Regina Catholic School is a single stream K to 6 co-educational Catholic school. The school enjoys a positive reputation for high academic standards, a nurturing, pastoral environment and the engagement of students in a range of key learning opportunities.
- Whereabouts: Avalon Beach on Tasman Road
- Age: 3-12
- Parents Say: “I love the supportive community and self-paced learning methods. I have found this has given my daughter the freedom to spend time on the things that interest her, fostering a deep level of learning, encouraging curiosity, independence and self-belief.”
Barrenjoey Montessori school is a well established Montessori located just behind the sand dunes of Avalon Beach. The vibrant school community consists of educators, students and families united by the core values that are embedded in Montessori education. The school provides an education for children from the age of 3 months to 12 years of age in learning environments that are designed to meet the academic, social and emotional needs of the child.
Barrenjoey High School
- Whereabouts: Avalon Beach on Tasman Road
- Age: 12-18
- Parents Say: “The current Principal has done a fantastic job of bringing the standard to beyond many private schools. Great HSC results. There’s a community focus and the teachers are accessible. They offer lots of extra opportunities for children to extend themselves like extension classes and a performing arts centre. Also what could be better for teenage students than being directly on the beach – my kids love it”
Barrenjoey High School is the single High School beyond the bends. Over the decades Barrenjoey has continued to improve and develop, both in HSC results and in creative arts opportunities. A proud community, comprehensive high school with an exceptional geographic position (backing onto North Avalon Beach). As a progressive high school, it has developed a unique balance between creative excellence, academic achievement and social awareness
Private & Christian Schools
There are no shortage of Private and Christian schools that can be accessed directly by private chartered and public buses from Avalon. They include –
- Northern Beaches Christian School
- St Luke’s Grammar School
- Knox Grammar
- Barker College
- Pittwater House
- Brigidine College
- Pymble Ladies College
Palm Beach Kindy
- Whereabouts: Palm Beach on Barrenjoey Road
- Age: 3-5 year olds
- Parents Say: “Palm Beach kindy is an exceptionally caring and nurturing environment for the children. It has an authentic community and the staff are wonderful, very experienced and engaged.”
Palm Beach Kindy is a community-based preschool with a warm and happy environment backing onto the stunning and enviable setting of Iluka Road. It is a not-for-profit organisation started by Palm Beach residents in 1948. It continues to strive as a centre of excellence in pre-school education.
KU Pre School
- Whereabouts: Avalon Beach on Avalon Parade
- Age: 3-5
- Parents Say: “KU Avalon is a fantastic preschool with wonderful grounds and caring teachers. It is a well-run facility with many friendly parents.”
KU Preschool Avalon on Avalon Parade is walking distance from central Avalon. It was opened in 1951 by the community of Avalon and remains strongly connected to the local community. The large evergreen playground and the play-based program is designed to allow children to explore nature and discover the natural environment.
Long Day Cares with Pre School classes in Avalon include – Bear N Joey, Billy Kids, Rosey Pot Kindergarten, Bluey’s Treehouse, Avalon Beach House, Barrenjoey Montessori.
If you’re looking to make the Upper Northern Beaches home or if you’re a local considering selling, please contact me today for further assistance.
Photo Attribution in this article:
- © State of New South Wales (Department of Education), 2019.
- © KU Children’s Services 2020
- © Maria Regina Primary School 2020
- © Palm Beach Kindy 2020
- © Redlands 2020